Welcome to my blog!
I haven’t owned a car since December 2015. This is 100% by choice and as my friends would say, I am a very stubborn person so since this is my decision, I often avoid accepting lifts anywhere.
People have often marvelled about how much I travel for someone who doesn’t make transport easy for themself. As a result, there are many stories about how I find obscure ways to get from point A to B and sometimes this may involve sleeping at Airports or Train Stations.
I live on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland and work in the same small town so I primarily get around via bicycle but when I need to leave town, I will supplement my transport with buses and trains.
Other interesting adventures that I’ve had in the last couple of months include:
- Walking 25km home from a 10CC concert in Caloundra because there were no more buses that night.
- Sleeping at Brisbane Airport because I booked a flight to Sydney that was too early for me to catch a train to the airport so I caught a train the night before (luckily Brisbane’s International terminal is open 24 hours and so I was in good company and there was plenty of security around).
- Almost missing the last tram that would get me to the last train from the Gold Coast back to the Sunshine Coast on a last minute PD.
When I’m not riding my Bicycle or Walking, here are some ways you might see me getting around:
- Kinto – an on demand car rental service. Book from a range of the latest Toyota Hybrid vehicles at growing selection of Pick Up points for as little as an hour or as much as a year, all from the convenience of a phone app! Use the discount code Kinto50 to recieve $50 off your first booking.
- Europcar – a tried and trusted car rental company recognisable globally.
- Public Transport – I am an avid advocator for public transport, but our region is often overlooked with scheduled services. This is a huge shame, because it not only affects people like me who have chosen to shun the conventional ways of doing things; it also has wide potential to be used by school kids, elderly people and people with medical conditions that might prevent them from driving.
Why start a blog now?
My intention was for this to start on July 1, 2023 as sort of a weekly journal of obscureness but as is often the way, I got distracted, couldn’t decide on a domain name and allowed many other trivial obstacles to get in the way… So, we’re starting now on the 1st of October, 2023… and we’ll see where this takes us!
“Take the first step in faith. You don’t have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.”— Martin Luther King Jr.
Thanks for journeying with me on the road less conventionally travelled!